The children had a field day (and a biology lesson) while we waited for the fish to defrost (Mehran had the sense to place it in the freezer when he arrived home late that night.) We learned the location of all the fins, including the caudal fin, what the lateral line is for and after a bit of Internet investigation what type of fish it was based loosely on the 'facial features' and position of the lips and gills. It may not be entirely accurate as there were only four choices but it gave the children something to look for with regards to differentiating certain features. One thing we did learn with excellent accuracy was in response to Anisa's question: "Do fish have tongues?"
Before our investigations began I honestly didn't know. I had never thought to ask, nor had I ever wondered. In case you are curious (or at any rate as ignorant on the subject as I was) they do. They also have extremely sharp teeth. I learned this too with extraordinary accuracy as I tried to pry open its frozen jaws in order to investigate the tongue query.
They got right into discovering all they could just touching, discovering and watching. They even drew pictorial diagrams with labels...well, Ruhi did. Anisa drew an elaborate pair of mermaids.
Mehran enjoyed the fish too. He enjoyed the fact that (by the time he encountered it again) it was stuffed with buttered crab meat, herbs and complimentary seasonings, was baked to perfection and served with salad. Poor fish.
1 comment:
Yes. Poor fish. Or perhaps lucky fish, if you look at it from the perspective of evolution from the animal world into the human world, as opposed to some more unfortunate end. Lucky children and mom to have such a rich learning experience. And lucky Mehran! Fish stuffed and baked with buttered crabmeat, herbs and seasonings...yum!
Post a Comment