We were hoping that Michael might have been able to join us, as he works as a park ranger here in the summer, but -alas- that was not to be. He was, however, on hand to offer his expertise (he has worked in the kitchens of the Haraseeket Inn, famous for it's seafood dishes) in preparing the lobsters (another thing on our definitely must do list) for dinner. Oh- and for the record unless you have had fresh, Maine, lobster you haven't had lobster at all. Nothing else even comes close, believe me - we've tried. Though I must admit, by the time we had brought them home from the store, I was feeling surprisingly like a heartless mercenary and very little like a gourmet chef. At any rate our doomed dinner found a temporary home in the kitchen sink while Michael prepared the pot of boiling water.
I am not sure the lobsters felt that love as they approached the steaming pot (note the size),
but Michael assured us that they had been properly desensitized (though I forget how exactly). I can tell you one thing -the girls certainly loved eating them,
and having an uncle who knew all the special tricks for getting the meat out of those really hard to reach places, like the tail, well that was pure genius.
Though something tells me that after bonding with these guys the kids would have been just as happy not to eat them. It is kind of a cruel world sometimes. Delicious. But cruel.
No comments:
Post a Comment