Also called kaleh pacheh. This is an Iranian delicacy roughly translated as sheep head soup. As you may be able to tell it includes sheep skulls (including the eye-balls and brains), tongues, and legs it can also contain hooves (but I have mercifully not encountered these.) Mehran loves this. Me, well... not so much. Especially when normal cooking smells can cause me to run gagging from the room. I have never made this. Nor do I have any intentions to. But someone did and Mehran brought a batch home to his pregnant wife because apparently I am not throwing up enough already. It is supposed to be really energizing and is great if you are going on a long hike. Personally I am not really up for a whole lot of hiking these days -though I may be rethinking that, especially if the reappearance of this dish becomes a regular thing.
I hear distant Tibetan mountain tops are most beautiful this time of year.Images from yahoo images. I couldn't bear to be in the room, let alone photograph these dishes. You undersatnd.
1 comment:
I hate to tell you this, but Mehran is probably right that it's really good for you, especially when you're pregnant. It is very rich with nutrients that aren't normally in your diet.
Many cultures have ensured the health of their babies by including just such dishes especially in the diets of those planning to have children and pregnant/nursing mothers. So who knew? Michael has a book on it. It's fascinating.
On the other hand, not having grown up with it, I can see where you might not be wildly enthusiastic about eating it. Perhaps someone (other than you) could mince the edible solids up into little bits so you couldn't tell what they are, blindfold you and spoon feed you a little. Maybe it tastes better than it looks? Even without being pregnant, I'm not sure I could get by the visual images.
Post a Comment