Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Time Warp

Yesterday was one of those days when the hands of time spin on their merry way, nothing unusual, nothing changed, just ticking away as they have always done except that for a good portion of the day (in our family, at least) it is two important and separate dates simultaneously. While Grammy celebrates her birthday on the 18th in America, Anisa is celebrating her birthday here, on the 19th and yet it is the same time. Mehran's birthday was on Sunday and due to the delightful flu, which I appear to have caught a touch of, we have not properly celebrated any of them.

Ruhi is such a sweet girl and loves to spend time with family. She was so excited when it was Mehran's birthday and woke up early to make him a hand crafted card. She wanted to stay home on Grammy's birthday as well as for Anisa's, but was shuffled off to school, poor dear. Since reading a passage in Chicken Soup for the Soul, years ago I have been putting little napkin notes into her lunch box every day, little messages to let her know that I am thinking of her, proud of her and what a special person she is. There is always a little drawing or doodle on the napkin and sometimes a sticker or a special treat. She was so disappointed about having to go to school on Anisa's birthday (despite the fact that we were just staying home, huddled around the humidifier with a big box of tissues) that I wanted to do something special for her, something simple, practical and small that would remind her of how much she is loved. I cut her sandwich into the shape of a nine pointed star (with much help from a cookie cutter -thanks Mom) and wrapped it in waxed lunch paper that I had decorated with stars, fused together with an iron and tied with ribbon. I included a little gift tag, telling her that she's a star and that we love her...which she loved. Although she didn't want to go to school again today. I will have to come up with some more interesting ideas...

No comments: