And so...
While I organized breakfast for the girls Bayan quietly sat on the carpet cutting up his organic muffin with safety scissors.
While I plucked crumbs from the carpet he happily massaged his milk into the fine fibre mesh of the mini trampoline.
While I scrubbed the elastic mat and tried to clean the floor Bayan ambushed my stacks of folded washing and Anisa took the opportunity to dress and accessorize the gym equipment.
While I refolded the clothes and tried to disentangle her jacket from the electrical strider Bayan collected eggs from the refrigerator.
While I cleaned the evidence form his most recent escapade Anisa tried to find her fairy dress-up. In the process all sorts of costumes were flung near and far, including a Hawaiian hula skirt which landed in the middle of the kitchen. That is also where I landed after wildly slip-sliding across it.
While I picked myself up and dusted myself off Anisa collected the costumes.
While I tried to put Bayan in the car seat (currently not his most favourite place) he screamed and struggled and wriggled and cried.
While I apologized for loosing my cool and my momentary lack of propriety the children reiterated their requests for cuddles, band-aids and food. Sigh.
While I prepared dinner Anisa secretly painted a page from Ruhi's new painting book.
While I attempted to be the ever-patient voice of reason and justice, Anisa went to her room in tears.
While I spoke to Anisa, Bayan was stirring the paint brushes in the fish bowl.
While I wondered what that strange sound was and rushed to investigate, Bayan tipped the bowl over and a small tsunami soaked the carpet, table and chairs (the fish were fine).
While I mopped up the carpet, wrung out the towels and dried off all the items caught by the rogue wave, a very saturated Bayan demanded a bath.
While I ran his bath and finished making dinner Anisa dismantled the front couches to make a fort and somewhere in her epic adventure wound up putting a foot through the soft, underside of the sofa. SIGH! It now has a large rip and I have an eye twitch.
While we were eating dinner Bayan gagged on a corn kernel and vomited into my hand (I was trying to spare the upholstery, you see). While I was sanitizing my fingers Mehran and the girls left the table. I can't imagine why.
When the financial planner (thankfully also a close family friend) arrived and while he was going over our finances Ruhi sang the Lazytown soundtrack at the top of her lungs, Anisa danced wildly around the room and Bayan stealthily stole his refreshments.
While the children got ready for bed with endless requests for milk, water, snacks, stories and cuddles I looked forward to that brief moment when I could look in on their sleeping faces and could see them for who they are. Right now. For even with the arguments, the frustrations and the difficulties they are amazing individuals and today, once gone, is gone forever. They are growing up so fast and while I would love a quieter, less harried day tomorrow I would not trade today for anything in the world. Except maybe the screaming like a banchee part...that was most unfortunate.
1 comment:
How do you explain this type of day to someone without children? We wouldn't trade one day for anything in the world and we love them totally and completely. However, God had a very sneaky plan when he made children so darned cute. And he made us totally fall in love with them so that this type of day could be softened with the persepctive of intense love.....and time.
Your mom met my granddaughter, Olivia (3) recently. She told Olivia about your family visiting soon. Olivia responded (quite unlikely to someone she had just met): "and we will chase, and laugh, and tickle, and play!" (when you are here) Hopefully we will have snow for you to play in!
Post a Comment