Saturday, September 27, 2008

Transition

Have you ever had that horrible, queasy, feeling in the pit of your stomach when you know that things need to change, when you are about to embark upon a large one, and yet the uncertainty of the unknown makes you wonder if what you are planning is really the right thing to do? Ruhi has not wanted to go to school for quite some time now. We have had issues with some of her classmates and there are a number of things that I am not happy about. While the teachers, especially this year, have been lovely and the school is good, when compared to others in the area, there is something lacking. It is a feeling. Mehran and I have been talking about moving for quite some time, especially me, and I have found a delightful little school near the area we are looking at, with smaller class sizes, friendly children (from what I've seen so far) and a much better feel to it.

It is all quite crazy as we are due to be heading overseas in six weeks. Anisa is officially due to start school in a week and rather than take both girls out of school we are thinking of swapping schools this coming term. At any rate the girls have already had a transition visit. I was concerned about how both of them would handle it, but especially Anisa, who has no desire to go to school at all. They both handled it very well. And the students were just wonderful. I still can not believe how wonderful and welcoming they all were. A couple of girls came up to Anisa and introduced themselves and said that they would be looking after her, they took her hand and brought her to sit with them and one of them even rubbed her back and told her that it would be OK, when they saw that she was nervous and unsure. A five year old for heavens sakes. How sweet and mature is that? The girls that came up to Ruhi also seemed very nice, although they were a bit older than she is and a very friendly and thoughtful little boy moved over and invited Ruhi to sit with him. In terms of atmosphere and potential I am very impressed. Whether I will still be impressed when the children are there remains to be seen, but I have high hopes, very high hopes. Now we just need to find a house.

1 comment:

Grammy said...

This sounds really encouraging...a much more congenial setting. I hope it continues to go well (and that a house materializes).