Over the years this room has served as a storage room, Mehrdad's room, and a guest room. For the last 5 years it has served as Ruhi's room a space that hasn't changed much since she moved in at two, but a space that she has been happily willing to share with Anisa, and even with Bayan. It has gotten far more crowed, since Nushan arrived, as we have had to reorganize the house to squeeze numerous things into a smaller amount of space.
The main feature of the room is the bookcase. I love books. I hope that all the children will also develop a a deep appreciation for literature. We read lots of stories. I aim for between 3 and nine a day. It always brings such a deep sense of satisfaction to see them curled up on their beds leafing through a book. Not that that happens all the time, but it is a nice way to have some quiet, down time and it is a lovely way to end a crazy, or hectic day.
The beds are the same ones that Mehran and Mehrdad got when they first arrived in Australia as refugees nearly 25 years ago. They are sturdy, extremely heavy, and strong. They are adorned with princess stickers and matching bedlinen (which I made. Cue rapturous applause.) and are flanked by pink and purple ponies and a small contingent of care bears. There is an extra mattress tucked away under Anisa's bed which Bayan and I share from time to time. The monster that used to reside under Ruhi's bed (and was the cause of much leaping onto the mattress to avoid him getting her feet) has quietly moved on as there is now a mini trampoline, numerous storage containers and the inevitable trove of discarded pyjamas and story books that have inadvertently slipped down the gap between the mattress and the wall, in the space that he once called home.
The closet is filled with the children's clothes, both winter and summer as well as with clearance items put away for next years wear. It contains dress-ups, the games cabinet, wrapping paper and accessories, cards and mementos, some of Bayan's toys and no doubt a thousand things that I have already forgotten we had, or was sure we lost long ago.
There is a small wooden table for working at and drawing on and a fan to cool you down in the hot summer months when the air conditioning doesn't make it to the back of the house. Most of all it is a quiet place where prayers are said each night, lots of cuddles and snuggles are had and many stories told. On the nights when I am not too exhausted (few and far between) or when they beg exceedingly I have been telling them stories about a couple of princesses, coincidentally named Ruhiyyih and Anisa who have grand adventures helping a unicorn save her community by travelling through distant lands, under seas and even to the stars on a wondrous journey to help creatures who cannot help themselves. I try to end it every night in the way of A Thousand and One Nights, with a cliffhanger that they have to wait until tomorrow night to hear the rest of. We left it last night with the unicorns tears leaving a diamond path to the stars which the princess had to follow into the night. I am not sure where we will go from there but hopefully inspiration will strike before bedtime and we will hear the next installment of their magical journey before snuggling into bed.
The beds are the same ones that Mehran and Mehrdad got when they first arrived in Australia as refugees nearly 25 years ago. They are sturdy, extremely heavy, and strong. They are adorned with princess stickers and matching bedlinen (which I made. Cue rapturous applause.) and are flanked by pink and purple ponies and a small contingent of care bears. There is an extra mattress tucked away under Anisa's bed which Bayan and I share from time to time. The monster that used to reside under Ruhi's bed (and was the cause of much leaping onto the mattress to avoid him getting her feet) has quietly moved on as there is now a mini trampoline, numerous storage containers and the inevitable trove of discarded pyjamas and story books that have inadvertently slipped down the gap between the mattress and the wall, in the space that he once called home.
The closet is filled with the children's clothes, both winter and summer as well as with clearance items put away for next years wear. It contains dress-ups, the games cabinet, wrapping paper and accessories, cards and mementos, some of Bayan's toys and no doubt a thousand things that I have already forgotten we had, or was sure we lost long ago.
There is a small wooden table for working at and drawing on and a fan to cool you down in the hot summer months when the air conditioning doesn't make it to the back of the house. Most of all it is a quiet place where prayers are said each night, lots of cuddles and snuggles are had and many stories told. On the nights when I am not too exhausted (few and far between) or when they beg exceedingly I have been telling them stories about a couple of princesses, coincidentally named Ruhiyyih and Anisa who have grand adventures helping a unicorn save her community by travelling through distant lands, under seas and even to the stars on a wondrous journey to help creatures who cannot help themselves. I try to end it every night in the way of A Thousand and One Nights, with a cliffhanger that they have to wait until tomorrow night to hear the rest of. We left it last night with the unicorns tears leaving a diamond path to the stars which the princess had to follow into the night. I am not sure where we will go from there but hopefully inspiration will strike before bedtime and we will hear the next installment of their magical journey before snuggling into bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment