Friday, April 24, 2009

Catching Up

Happy Ridvan:



We had friends over for Ridvan again this year. I am hoping to make it a tradition. This year was cold and wet so there was no tent out on the lawn. We improvised with the pergola instead. Everything on the menu was from a garden, except the cake which we didn't have a chance to make for Ayyam-i-ha. We did face painting, a candle treasure hunt, said prayers, played and made bubbles, which J. did not drink this year.
Preparing for Ridvan:
I learned how to make these (paper roses made out of coffee filters, floral tape and water colours) ages ago from a demo on Martha Stewart. They are very fiddly and take quite awhile to construct, but they are fun and pretty and I had two eager helpers, especially when it came to the painting. Picnics in the park with family and friends.

The Angry Phase
Bayan went through an angry phase. It only lasted a month or so, but it felt so. much. longer. Thank heavens it was only a phase, though every now and again it rears it's ugly head and we are given another taste. Lucky us.
Making Muffins:and messes. I had help bringing the honey to the counter.

But the helpers disappeared when it came to cleaning it up.They reappeared just in time for a story and were happy to help eat the muffins.
School Camp: This was a big thing. We debated about weather or not to let the girls go. In the end we decided to and it turned out to be a good thing. They were fine the whole time and had some wonderful experiences while they were away. Including building a raft, playing and swimming on the beach, having treasure hunts in the sand and night walks under starry skies. I hear the food was pretty good too. Naw-Ruz:For Naw-Ruz we took some chocolate eggs, and organized a treasure hunt out in the garden. With eggs symbolizing rebirth and renewal and all it seemed most fitting and appropriate. Not to mention fun. Besides I know a couple of kids who need no logic when chocolate is involved.

Family time:

There was a multi-cultural celebration at a reserve in our community which Mehran decided we must be part of and so we spent the afternoon together as a family exploring the grounds, enjoying multi-cultural performances, eating, meeting friends and enjoying some cuddly animals. Anisa in particular took quite a fancy to the livestock.
I admired the patience of this sheep who allowed it's back to become a nesting spot for a couple of birds. Bayan's birthday:
Bayan's third birthday was celebrated very simply and quietly at home. He was very adamant that he wanted a cake. A cake just like Ruhi's. That was easy to do. It involved chocolate, strawberries and cream and I had all the items on hand. It is nice when they are so easily pleased. We fixed one of his favourite lunches: fish fingers, broccoli and corn and he unwrapped a present that we had bought last year and laid away until now. In the interests of environmental sustainability (and because I had no gift wrap on hand and no gift boxes large enough) I wrapped the present in material and tied it with a ribbon. This worked splendidly as it gave the children something to open, which-let's face it- is part of the fun, while also eliminating wrapping waste and providing extra stimulation and avenues for imaginative play. The material became a river, a cape and a tent before being folded up and placed away to be used for some future project or for additional wrapping needs. This worked so well that I am planning to use this frequently in the future. Sports Day: The girls' school got together with some other schools to organize a Sports Day for the students. Both Ruhi and Anisa were on the blue team. I have no idea which color won in the end, but then that's really not important. I could not help but notice that their school came last in every event but one, but then as I said that is not important. What they lacked in athletic prowess they more than made up for in team spirit. And after getting a sneak peak at some of the other schools in the area I am so very glad that they are where they are.
There was a bean bag toss, a ring toss
running races,
an egg and spoon race

badminton,

tug of war,
juggling, balancing, team events, relays
and eating, to name but a few of the things that we got up to that day.
On Sunday it rained. And rained. And rained.The girls did some homeschooling workbooks and I organized one of the craft drawers that doubles as a dumping ground for every art item we can't find a home for. We then got out the face paints that I, being the humble genious that I am, had tucked away for a day such as this. Anisa wanted a butterfly,
Ruhi opted for a tiger.
And Bayan decided on a pirate. By this stage I had two very enthusiastic helpers who sweetly asked to help and then entirely took over. Behold the finished product. Not bad huh? I think their attempts were more successful than mine.
Ruhi is eight.
Still deeply fascinated with all things Disney related Ruhi requested a Mickey Mouse cake. Despite my best efforts a Mickey centerpiece eluded my remarkable tracking skills and we were left with Minnie instead. She said she didn't mind too much. We had a simple day with a beautiul young girl who is growing up far too fast.

Happy Ayyam-i-Ha Part 2:

Each day of Ayyam-i-ha the kids got to open a gift. After the bunk beds they tended to be small items or things that they needed. Things like lunch boxes and new toothbrushes. There were also dinosaur eggs that had to be hatched notice Anisa's finger, I think her dinosaur had a bit of help breaking through.and then of course the Ayyam-i-ha party.and aftermath thereof.

Happy Ayyam-i-Ha! Part 1
The girls have been waiting for ages to have a bunk bed. Mehran purchased this long before we left for America and it was finally ready and organized on the first day of Ayyam-i-ha. Imagine that!It was worth the wait. They were so excited!
Despite the heat they could hardly wait to change into their pyjamas and get into bed. Bayan, who is inheriting their old room, recieved the train track I had purchased on special ages ago.
He was equally thrilled. And imediately set it up and began to play. I love the wooden tracks.Indoor Skating:
The whole time we were overseas Mehran kept me posted on the weather in Autralia. Neither of us could believe what a wonderful, mild summer we were having. Truly perfect weather, sunny and warm and bright, but never hot. No, apparently mother nature was saving the heat for our return. We stepped off the plane and into a furnace. We were to experience some of the hottest days on reccord and a heat wave that broke all reccords. Lucky us.
So one day after school, still in a homesick funk and desperately missing the cooler climes America has to offer, I got out the shaving cream and the kids practiced "ice-skating" on the kitchen floor. Ruhi squirted, they all skated and had a lovely afternoon remembering how cool it was at Grammy's house and how fun it was to play in the snow.
I suppose shaving cream just can't beat the real thing, but it was worth a try.

3 comments:

Grammy said...

Continuing my commentary backwards chronologically, the Ridvan treats look scrumptuous and even I could snack on most of it! What's more, it looks relatively easy to fix as long as you have the right serving pieces. Hmmmm, taking notes...

I didn't understand what you meant about painting the Ridvan flowers. I guess I would need a demo but they are pretty when they are assembled.

The first time I looked at the making muffins pictures, I didn't notice the line of honey wandering up the front of the dishwasher. Yum! Bet that was fun to clean!

More later...

Grammy said...

Didn't I introduce you to the Muffin Dragon? I think maybe!

These are wonderful pictures and it all looks like such a good time! I was in Girl Scouts and loved going to camp. I'm glad you let them go and can imagine they had a great time. And I like their matching pink sweaters...very pretty. Seeing them together like this makes me wish I had had a sister.

As for chocolate, well, I understand completely. I make mine with raw cacao powder, agave and coconut oil. It's very yummy.

Wish I could have gone with you to the nature reserve. It looks like my kind of place. And it looks like Ruhi liked the sheep. I couldn't tell at first what Anisa was squatting down and petting, then I realized that those oddly shaped white things were the ears of a goat. And, of course, there is nothing as soft as a bunny. I expect the the birds do a service for the sheep by pecking insects out of their wool.

Now I'm off to take a bath...

Grammy said...

This year's birthday cakes remind me of your Strawberry Shortcake phase but I was never as creative with children's activities as you are. It looks delicious. Is it gluten free?

Bayan's lunch looks good. Did I tell you I am able to eat a few kinds of fish again? I am still avoiding bottom feeds and large fish because of heavy metal accumulations but am enjoying the added variety.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the sports day photos and agree that winning is not important.

Now I need to go get my bedtime snack. The blogspot server must be on the West coast because the time it posts for my comments are three hours earlier than actual time here.