
For the last week Mehran has been working quintuple time. He has hardly seen the children this week. I think he may have said good morning to them on three occasions before dashing out the door and he arrived home every evening long after they had gone to bed. So, it was with much excitement that Ruhi answered the phone this afternoon and told us about Baba's big plan to take us all to the beach, for a hike along a boardwalk and some playtime in the sand. For a moment Bayan was speechless. So, we hurriedly finished our jobs and jumped in the car. We were in such a rush that I even forgot to take the camera, to capture some of the precious moments on film - you know the extra fun ones like Mehran schlepping up the hill with Bayan on his shoulders who alternated between strangling him from behind and grabbing fistfuls of hair and scalp in an effort to feel secure at such unfathomable heights and Mehran having to jump over safety railings and scurry along a precipice, while jagged rocks jutted out of a raging sea below, to rescue Anisa's shoe which was accidentally dropped over the side, while she howled a wailing symphony of despair at the apparent loss of her precious footwear- you know the
fun stuff. Is it horrible that I find impish delight in Mehran's exasperation with parenthood? I just enjoy seeing someone else copping some of the thrills of parenting, especially as I am usually the one being strangled by loving arms while I attempt to vacuum the floor, although I have never had scramble along the side of a cliff to retrieve a shoe, that was a first... but have no fear, I am sure my time will come.
1 comment:
Trust me when I tell you that when Bayan is grown Mehran will look back on those moments with affection and wonder, the same way you will with your own experiences. As for the differences in your parenting, you've heard the saying, "What goes around comes around?" The older I get the more I have moments that either make me smile with thinking how much more like my mother I am than I (or anyone else) ever imagined I could be or make me hang my head in shame for the times I didn't understand my parents or help them as much as I might have. Don't worry about what Mehran does or doesn't do. You may not always see eye to eye about how to spend time but you are both good parents in your own unique ways. The children will have many good memories.
Post a Comment