Saturday, August 22, 2009

After school recipes

The days are just flying by and I find myself racing from one thing to the next with very little time to just stop and breathe. On the one hand I feel that I thrive on lots to do and on the other I really wish that life had a pause button so that you could just catch your breath every now and again. I often feel that I hardly have any quality time with the girls as they are at school so much and by the time we get home it is a mad rush to get dinner and homework done. I would love to be doing little crafty things with them each day like we used to and am determined to get myself better organized to make it happen. It has not happened as much as I would like, but this week we did make a start.

Love heart bath fizzies.
These are so fun and they are really simple to make. I got the recipe off the Internet and have made a few adjustments. I love the fact that they fizz really well and are made up almost entirely of things that you could eat.
1 cup of baking soda
1/2 cup of citric acid
1/2 cup of corn starch
1/4 cup Epsom slats
1-1 1/2 T. apricot kernel oil
1 T. water
1/2 - 1 t. lavender essence (or other fragrance of choice.)
The original recipe included borax and a colorant (which I have never added) and also a fair bit of almond oil which I found gave the bath tub an oil slick. The changes I have made seem to work really well for now. All you do is put the dry ingredients into a bowl, get an electric mixer ready, mix your wet ingredients in a separate bowl and add them to your dry ingredients while mixing. The mixture will not look wet, but will feel slightly damp to the touch and will pack into molds very easily. We use silicone ice cube trays from IKEA, but larger molds work too.

And then, of course, there was the baking of chocolate chip cookies. Naturally.
Mom, you asked ages ago for some gluten free recipes you could pass on to a friend. There is no excuse for my tardiness, so I won't even try. Instead here is an old standby.
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar (I normally use one cup of organic sugar and skip the half cup)
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups gluten free flour (find the one that you like best and use that)
1 heaping tsp. gluten free baking powder
1 pinch salt
1 cup chocolate chip cookies (I skimp and probably only use 1/2 - 3/4 cup).
Mix butter and sugar together with an electric mixer, when well combined add egg and vanilla and mix again. Add dry ingredients and mix together, then stir in chocolate chips and place by heaping teaspoons on a baking tray. Place in a preheated oven (160 C) for approximately 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Like most gluten free products they do tend to be crumbly, so keep those napkins handy.

3 comments:

Vicki said...

I can see skimping on the sugar, but chocolate chips!? Unless the ones you skimped on went into your mouth. Have I ever told you about a secret I used with the kids? You know that they have very sensitive antennas for the noise of a plastic bag. So when they are not around, take the chocolate (in whatever form you prefer) or candy and put it in a sippy cup that cannot be seen through and keep the cup on the window sill. Then when the moment strikes you can take a portion without the natives hearing. I found it extremely helpful.

sarih said...

Thanks Vicki. That is an excellent tip. Though I must say I can barely get the chocolate (in any size, shape or form) into the house before Bayan (or Anisa for that matter, but lately it is mostly Bayan)ambushes it. I'll have to be more stealthy.

Grammy said...

I can see skimping on the chocolate chips when you have children who are very active and are constitutionally unable to resist the lure of chocolate. It stimulates mood chemistry and increases the behavioral intensity factor.

But thanks for the recipe, no apology needed. I love hearing "an old standby" from you about a gluten free recipe. The friend is Heather Ivanov, you spoke with her briefly on the phone when you were here. I'll pass it on. And I may get some gluten-free ingredients and make some fizzies for myself!