It has been ages since I have had any alone time with the girls. Sunday we managed to do two hits in one. A movie review that I was supposed to do on Thursday was bumped up due to a preview screening. Aliens in the Attic is not the type of film that I would normally encourage children to see and there was no way that I would allow either Anisa or Bayan to watch it, but Ruhi, being the very sensible and mature child that she is, could handle the content without any problem. She has been wanting to watch more PG rated films as opposed to our normal G repertoire. We have watched a few but I have been very selective about which I feel are appropriate for her to see. She is growing up and wanting see some of the things that other kids are regularly allowed to watch. She has been wonderful about understanding why she is not allowed to see certain films despite the fact that other kids who are even younger than her have watched them multiple times. I must say that I am still appalled when I walk into an M rated film (like Transformers for example) and find preschoolers in the audience. Honestly! My job as a movie reviewer has been a really great tool to help the children understand that people will continue to make all kinds of films but that not all of them are good to see and often if you look closely, even at the good ones, you will find things that are not good and many things to talk about. Ruhi has become quite adept at noticing the violence (even slapstick) and inappropriate clothing often showcased in movies. Anyway when Ruhi heard that she was going to be allowed to come to a preview of PG film with me she was so thrilled. This is only the second time (in 5 years)that I have been able to do this. We arrived at the cinemas early and she got to have her face painted with two iridescent love hearts (sorry no photos) on both cheeks. Ruhi chose where we sat and because it was a special screening we got to sit in fabulous, wide leather lazy-boy style chairs. As soon as she sat down Ruhi said Mummy these seats are great but I feel like I should wear a seat belt. We enjoyed a quiet chat and a bag of healthy chips that I smuggled into the cinema (shhhh) and had a really good time.
While Ruhi and I were at the film Anisa and Bayan were at Grandma and Grandpa's. We did a swap over where Ruhi was then dropped off and Anisa was picked up to go to a birthday party. I got to spend the afternoon attending to only one child. Ahhh. And she got to have a great time with her friends. She also got the prize for being the best behaved girl (though I think it was a three way tie) at the party.
1 comment:
one on ones with the kids are golden. It creates a bond that carries back to the normal chaos. I remember one time when one of the boys wanted to be involved in something and the chosen boy replied, "Mom wants to spend this time with just me this time" and it was totally accepted and understood. I loved hearing that one!
Post a Comment