Monday, December 14, 2009

Perks

One of the nicest things about doing movie reviews is that it gives the children a chance to see that there are many ways to look at a subject or film and that you can really find a lot of things to talk about, some rather unsavory. It trains them to look at a film and not only watch it, but see the parts that are not nice or are inappropriate and to comment or think about them as opposed to just letting it sink in and settle into their subconscious disguised as something acceptable, even though it's not. Another perk is that from time to time, and I must admit fairly frequently recently, I get free passes to preview screenings. The last two weeks in a row I have been able to take the children with me (as I have scored two 4 person passes) something that we rarely do, not only because of the expense but largely due to the lack of quality films out there today. These were both G rated films and Bayan also got to come to see his first films in the cinema. I was a little worried about how he would go sitting still for a little over an hour and a half, but he did great and it was nice to have the kids with me as opposed to dropping them at the grandparents while I did this on my own. The girls loved it as they have been able to come a few times now and are getting to be very good about picking out parts that they think should go into the movie review. Thank heavens for my little helpers.

1 comment:

Grammy said...

This experience of learning to be discerning and thoughtful about what they see in the media is probably one of the most valuable tools you could give them for navigating the sea of distortions and misinformation in which we are immersed in all forms of auditory and visual communications these days. You are teaching them to be "media smart" from the standpoint of moral principles. If they exercise what they have learned, they will avoid many of the shallow temptations and other kinds of hazards in life and I see that you are aware of that. Well done!