Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Baha'i Houses of Worship

I am trying to make a conscientious effort to do more educational Baha'i activities with the kids. For an easy and basic start I made this House of Worship game. I just printed off images from the US National Office site two of each temple and laminated them on cardstock. I typed up the corresponding locations, printed them on colored paper and laminated those as well. We talked about what the buildings were, how many there are including this trick question: "We are currently building the ninth house of worship but it is one of only eight that you can visit. Why?" After a bit of thought Ruhi worked it out. (The earliest temple in Turkestan was destroyed by an earthquake.) Where the buildings are, what common features they all have, why they all have nine sides and a central dome and special facts about certain temples. We then turned the pictures over and the kids played Memory trying to match up the pictures of the temples. Once they had managed to do that we laid them out and I challenged them to see if they could place the correct location by the its picture. Ruhi breezed through it, Anisa did very well and Bayan kind of followed along. I never know how much he is getting out of these things. Sometimes it seems like he is not paying the least bit of attention and the next thing you know he is explaining the random geometrical forces that allowed them to construct the Lotus Temple, well - not really but it certainly seems like it sometimes.

2 comments:

Grammy said...

Really a good idea! Would you mind if I sent this entry to the National Office? I think someone there could put it to good use.

sarih said...

Go for it.