Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Chore Can

I came across a brilliant idea at "Lets Explore" and decided to try it for myself. I am most impressed. We took an old formula can full off formula that Bayan would not, under any circumstances deign to consume (can't say that I blame him), emptied it out and while the kids practiced writing letters in the powder I decorated the can with assorted cardstock and a series of flowers I made from craft stones and paper punches. With help from the girls we put together a list of kid friendly chores, like helping wash the dishes, take out the trash, empty the dishwasher, dust a room, clean a mirror, etc. We wrote the chores on individual slips of paper and embellished each with a flower (just for fun, and well... because it was much prettier that way, plus it matched the can.) The first night we tried it they thought it was a lucky dip and actually cheered when they pulled out doing dishes and dusting. We haven't used it every night, but whenever we have scenes such as these have followed: Ruhi drew out the card Set the table for dinner. And here is the enthusiastic response. She even tracked down placemats for herself, Anisa and Bayan. All this without any assistance or prompting. Anisa's favourite chore is helping wash the dishes, but they were even happy when they pulled out help clean the toilet. Can you imagine? It's a magic can. At least for now.

1 comment:

Grammy said...

Oh, my, life is good! I wish I'd figured that out when you and your brother were young...