Wednesday, November 18, 2009

At the Clothesline

Life is a little harried at the moment. And I am still feeling like I don't give the children enough individual attention. It is especially challenging after school as both Anisa and Ruhi have so much to tell me about their days and Bayan, not to be outdone, suddenly has a thousand things to tell me as well. This afternoon as I dashed about in a frenzy, cursing myself that I hadn't managed to make dinner before collecting the kids from school, helping with homework, cooking and getting some desperate washing done Ruhi came out to the clothesline and very quietly began handing me piecing of clothing to hang up. We had a lovely little chat and some much needed one on one time together. It was not long, but it was just right and it reminded me that sometimes the most simple and mundane things can be very meaningful, especially when you slow it down and share the task with someone else. I hope we can do a lot more of this and thanks Ruhi you are absolutely extraordinary.

2 comments:

Vicki said...

Ah yes, I LOVE hanging clothes on the line and bringing them in. I have always been able to feel the generations of women who have come before me doing the exact same thing. And being able to share that rich time with the next generation is truly amazing and gratifying. I am so happy and impressed that it 1. happened and 2. you were able to enjoy it. The one-on-ones with each child are sweet indeed.

Grammy said...

Bravo, Ruhi, for helping your mom without being asked.