Friday, December 4, 2009

On the way

to school this morning we were forced to take a detour. There had been an accident and the road going up to the school was blocked in both directions. While we took a back route that wound it's way through a thick eucalypt forest the girls decided to say some extra prayers (for those involved in an accident) as the prayers finished and as we neared the crest of the hill we were forced (delighted) to stop the car so that a koala could cross the road. I desperately wished that I had brought my camera, but alas I did not. He ambled along so slowly there were plenty of potentially fabulous shots. There were no cars behind us so we had the chance to sit and admire him as he shuffled into the bush. The girls were completely smitten, Bayan was entirely thrilled, and I was grateful for the timely reminder about what it is that makes country living so special. There may be twisty streets and steep hills (and the possibility of accidents- though they may happen anywhere) but there is an untamed beauty and peaceful tranquility that is sorely lacking in other parts. There are very few places on earth where you can pause on your way to work or school to watch a koala cross the street and I love that my kids are getting a chance really see some of what makes Australia so special.

1 comment:

Grammy said...

I, too, say a prayer whenever I see an accident or an ambulance or other emergency response vehicle both for the victims and for the responders. Surely I would want people to do that for me if I were involved.

I love these opportunities in nature, too. I'm so glad you have an appreciation of it that you can share with the children. Grampa would be expecially pleased, also.