It's not lookin good.
I bobbed down to get some potatoes out of the basket in the pantry and something in my knee gave way. There was no pop, but there was certainly some almighty pain as my kneecap dislocated and all delicate attempts to relocate it failed miserably. It is presently tender and unbendable past a certain point, but interestingly I can still walk normally enough, I can crawl, sort of (that was learned by an unavoidable fluke) and can stand and move about, albeit there is a bit of swelling and discomfort.
Now before anyone begins condemning our diet, let me just say that this is pretty much my own fault. I decided to do the lunges in aerobics this morning. I never do the lunges because, even as a teenager, they always bothered my knees. Well, some things never change. But I was feeling so fit and robust, I thought what the heck I'll do some lunges, and even as I was doing them I could hear and feel little creaks and pops. Not a good sign, but I was so focused on attempting to tone some, ahem, trouble spots that I ignored the snaps and the cracks and the pops. Consequently I am off to see a chiropractor later this afternoon. I hope she's good with knees.
Update: I wound up in physiotherapy as I have apparently, and I quote: "pinched the fatty pocket in my knee." How glamorous does that sound? Dislocation sounds so much more worthy of the pain, yet I assure you pinched knee pockets, be they fatty or not, are perfectly excruciating. On the bright side mine is healing remarkably well and thanks to some ultrasound heat treatments and pressure bandages is only noticeable when I squat down. A maneuver I am currently trying to avoid. At least for a little while.
1 comment:
Yes, well...it happens to all of us, middle age, that is. And then it is followed by old age which is another level of adventure in discovering the unique and interesting ways age can make itself apparent. I'm glad you are recovering and also glad that you are practicing aerobics.
What I never understood when you were a teen was how you learned to leap into the air and come down on the floor with both legs extended in a full split. It hurt me just to watch every time you did it! I suspect you are too wise to try that now.
Post a Comment