Saturday, February 13, 2010

Bangles

We went to pick up Mehran's car from the mechanics and somehow managed to come home with a cat. How this happened I can hardly explain. Through the haze I vividly recall telling the gentleman "No thank you." more than once when he repeatedly offered the cat to us. I also recall the children's unanimous "Aaahhhh, he's so cute!" the moment we walked into the garage. Somehow the rest is rather vague. We went from the repeated 'no thanks' to Mehran cradling the cat in his arms while the children cooed beside him, to arriving home with a hairy, highly strung, creature in toe. Humph! Yeah, because guess who is going to get to clean up the kitty litter, vacuum the hair and shop for pet supplies...

Despite my initial reservations I must admit I am really beginning to admire this cat. Whom, by the way, the children affectionately refer to as Bangles. Anisa wanted to call him Caspian (I love that) and then Lila (he is a boy) and then Minty while Bayan just called him "Pushy." (A spin off on Pishy the Persian word for kitty) though Pushy is perhaps most fitting, specifically in regards to what he puts up with, yet it was Ruhi's suggestion of Bangles, because he looks like a Bengal Tiger, that won out in the end. Bangles puts up with things I cannot imagine other cats tolerating -even for a second. I have literally seen him flying past the window (paws outstretched a pitiful meeeoww just before he lands...on his feet) Bayan and I have had serious words about this and he is beginning to accept the fact that cats do not fly. No matter how much he wants them too.
Bangles allows the children to carry him ( I use the term loosely as he is often tucked under an arm or draped across Bayan's shoulders as a backwards stole.) without clawing them to pieces.

He prefers to drink his water in a mug. He finds a cat bowl highly disdainful.
He loves tuna, toy balls and string and is slowly worming his way into all of our hearts. Though some were more easily won over than others.

1 comment:

Grammy said...

Well, I am wistfully wishing that I was not allergic to cats. They can be so charming, endearing, and even useful (especially if you live in a field shared by a variety of rodent populations. Bur I am glad the children can enjoy this experience. I think it is an irreplacable introduction to relationships other creatures.