Sunday, February 21, 2010

Counting Down

We officially began our Ayyam-i-Ha countdown on day 14 (I know, but what can you do?) The first treat in the pouch was certainly the most expensive, but also very happily received. They each got a flavored chapstick and were really impressed and grateful. So sweet. Today's surprises did not fit in the pouch so whenever that happens I plan to put a clue in the pouch instead and they'll have to do a treasure hunt to find it (them). Today's treats were two mermaid paint sets and a Thomas the Train toy ( I am generally looking for inexpensive things that the children will like or are useful. I've been really lucky, but more on that later.)

Today's clue read:
Here is a clue for something you can do.
Two are crafty. One is blue.
But first you must find them,
for away they hide.
They are not in the house,
they are outside.
Look for them on something that grows green and tall
but be careful that they do not fall.

Ruhi read it and they swiftly traipsed outdoors to find the surprises.
Some of the other things I will place in the pockets include money (dollar coins, or 50 cent pieces) organic lollipops followed by new toothbrushes, as well as a bead making tool set for each of the girls (these I picked up in a clearance bin for 10 cents each. Score! I saw them and immediately thought that these would be perfect for making prayer beads with the kids. I love useful clearance items. Love them. And the kids are loving the calendar. They have already made me promise that we will do it for each day leading up to Ayyam-i-ha next year. I love that Anisa is no longer asking, on an hourly basis, how many more days till Ayyam-i-Ha. She can see and count for herself now. And I love the excited conversations and whispered speculations on what tomorrows surprise will be, to say nothing of establishing simple traditions that the kids can look forward to year after year. How could I not have done this before?

1 comment:

Grammy said...

You are without a doubt the most "fun" mommy I know. I'm always lost in admiration for your creativity. When you were five years old, you brought home a painting from kindergarten in bold splashes of red, blue and yellow. You teacher had noted in one corner that you said it was a picture of the doors of an elevator to the moon. How cool was that? So, somehow, this was all in your future and you were admirably suited for it.