Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Homeschooling & Halloween

I love, simply love, the idea of homeschooling. I have read numerous books on the topic, gotten to meet a few homeschoolers and purchased a proper curriculum. I am not at all impressed with the education system here and while I am not on the verge of withdrawing the kids from school -yet and there are many reasons for this I still like to get a little homeschooling in when I can - we have the resources after all. So this morning we sat at the dining room table snacking on fruit and improving our English skills. Ruhi did her reading (finishing the book 'Fantastic Mr. Fox') and a chapter or Wordly Wise while Anisa read Bible stories and worked on creating compound words and spelling. Bayan practiced his letters and did a couple of pages from his maths book, before we took a break, practiced our music, read Greek myths over lunch and did a science experiment together (have I said that I love homeschooling?).
In the afternoon we started to prepare for Halloween by making our own "trick or treat" bags. Halloween has begun to seriously take off in our neck of the woods and we are going trick or treating with the neighbours this year. I thought it would be nice to make a bag for each of the kids. Bayan is helping to sew them and the girls are in charge of decorating them with fabric markers.
I'll post a photo when they're finished.

No comments: