Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Pinata Factory

I always intend to be organized for the end of the year months in advance. And every year I find myself racing around trying to get everything done before school finishes. I really must find a way to get ahead, but so many things crop up that sometimes that is very difficult to do. This year was no exception. I've had three days in which to make 11 pinatas. That includes two layers of paper mache and one layer of paint. The kids have been super helpful and have had a brilliant time helping blow up balloons with a mini pump and doing a bit of the paper mache. But mostly it's been left to me, so like a crazed person I've been up late making newspaper strips and batches of paste. The first layers dried pretty quickly (at least this warm weather is useful for something) and from there they've been ensconced in fishing line, hung up and papermached again. I'm hoping this will add a bit more strength overall and also help me with the hanging from the tree part. I'm currently at the painting stage (I opted not to tissue paper them all in an effort to save time and my sanity) and have just gone with a basic green, but that is OK, because they are either peras (pears) or limas (limes) and the kids only care about bashing them to bits to get at what is inside anyway. Here's hoping they're all dry by tomorrow morning.

No comments: