Monday, February 21, 2011

Meet Virtue Man



OK, so he looks a little haggard and he really needs a cape but he is fantastic at finding virtues. Which is just what he did this morning. I, on the spur of the moment, cut out about 12 fish shapes (Anisa drew eyes, lips and scales for me) and I wrote the virtue Respect (something that some of us seriously need to work on at the moment) on the back of one of the fish. The rest remained blank. After morning prayers I made a "lake" with some blue cloth and placed the fish in the "water." The children took turns assisting virtue man to locate the fish with the special word. Once it was found we talked about what it means to be respectful and the ways that we can practice showing respect.

I am planning to do a virtue of the week again, something that I did with the kids ages ago but then... well, you know how it is. I am planning to do different activities with each virtue including treasure hunts, guessing games and physical challenges. (God help me.) This will tie in really nicely with our virtue cards. I may even copy the virtue tree from Nurturing the Tender Years, but one thing at a time. I was impressed by how much they all enjoyed the fishing game, continuing to play with it long after we had finished, but more importantly taking turns and sharing, thus demonstrating respect in action. Hopefully their enthusiasm continues.

1 comment:

Grammy said...

Superlative! I wish I knew how to contact Dottie. She would really enjoy this!