Wednesday, April 13, 2011

My Kitchen Rules

I like to keep our weekdays t.v. free, but in the early days with Maryam home, Mehran gone and the children in need of something quiet to do in the evenings I will confess that we began watching a show called My Kitchen Rules. I am rather weary of reality shows, (this was the first that I have allowed the children to watch) but this one was really good. We didn't see the whole season, less than half in fact, but what we saw we all really enjoyed. They had teams of two competing against other teams of two from around the country to see who was able to serve up the most delicious recipes in a variety of challenging situations using specific ingredients. What impressed me was the fact that the teams were so encouraging of each other, obviously they all wanted their own team to win, but there was no sabotage or underhandedness. When one team forgot to buy a crucial ingredient the team they were competing against let them use some of theirs. How awesome is that? They cheered each other on, cried when teams were sent home and got along splendidly behind the scenes - OK, yes there was some stress and freaking out, but nothing nasty at least not that we saw and what we saw was some amazing, yet ordinary, people creating some amazing food and friendships. The result of this was a bit of quiet in the evenings so that I could sit and nurse Maryam and simply soak her in while the kids were happily engaged in something educational (that I could also watch from where I sat). And yes, I did say educational. The kids, who have always loved to bake, are now learning to cook and are super excited to help out with anything that has to do with food preparation. We have researched recipes, tried some of our own and Anisa is currently creating her own cookbook, filled (well, 4 so far) with recipes that she has made, liked and wants to make again. Bayan has taken on the role of judge like nobodies business and is sooo charming. He walks around rating everything he eats from a slice of apple to a bowl of cornflakes to his latest dinner. He will take a bite, roll his eyes to the heavens above, really think it over, and then proclaim that you have 10 out of 10 or eleventy hundred or even if it is not something that he is particularly fond of and you get a less than stellar score he will say: "That's OK Mom, you're still the best cooker in the whole world." And your heart will just melt and you'll look in those eyes and you'll know, thanks to these guys, that my kitchen rules.

No comments: