We are looking at family relationships and how to introduce and identify family members in Spanish. I have a poster that I made my first year teaching Spanish. I hated it then and I hate it now. It works brilliantly, because the students all recognize the members of this high profile, dysfunctional, family and as a result can easily understand what I am saying in Spanish, but I feel wretched using The Simpsons as an example, especially because I believe that the program is actually harmful for kids. 
So, with some help, I have created the Trujillo-Gonzalez family tree featuring Maria and Guillermo Trujillo and the families of their three children. The students helped with a few of the faces and have helped me cut out about a gazillion leaves. I made a little hole in the tree trunk where I place clues in Spanish as to the identity of a mystery family member and the student who guesses which person it is referring to gets a special key (reward system) and to come up and read the next clue for their classmates. The kids are loving this and, because of the schedule, will be able to use it for at least half of the term.
1 comment:
Reminds me of a virtues tree although, like you I wouldn't nominate the Simpsons as candidates to emulate. All the same you continue to astonish me. I think you were born understanding how human relationships work (unlike your nearest female progenitor, who shall remain mercifully nameless)and it makes you an outstanding teacher.
Post a Comment