Thursday, October 8, 2009

Strike Two!

So we'd planned to have our mini, informal, devotional service for Marie today. It is school holidays and all the children are free. Unfortunately all of the children, save my own, are also sick. So...rather than wait any longer we thought we might as well say some prayers anyhow. It was not what I had planned, but was still simple and sweet. Prayers were said and quotations read in honor of a woman who I did not know very well, but one who was kind, patient and considerate, someone who loved children, was a devoted Baha'i and an ardent defender of the Faith. Prior to our last visit a year ago I have only vague memories of climbing the stairs to her apartment and enjoying the Shaklee Energy Bars that she not only got my mother to purchase, but to stock and sell herself as well. We must pause to appreciate the magnitude of this as my mother did not allow sugar in the house and was famous for sending me to school with such succulent treats as dried seaweed and tofu. Truly Marie was a miracle worker and my adolescent palate was extremely grateful. While she was a familiar face at Baha'i functions and gatherings throughout my childhood I never really got to know her. It is sad that we often don't realize these things before it is too late. So I am very glad that I had the chance to see her and speak to her again. Even though her health was failing and she was legally blind she was patient and smiling. She took my hand and proudly gave me a tour of her little apartment that had been added onto Vicki's house. She explained her routine, showed me pictures of her great-grandchildren and positively glowed as she talked about her family. She loved her family very much and I know she is dearly missed.

"Death preffereth unto every confident believer the cup that is life indeed. It bestoweth joy, and is the bearer of gladness. It conferreth the gift of everlasting life." ~Baha'u'llah

3 comments:

Vicki said...

Thank you, Sarih and all, for the kind comments and for the prayers.

Grammy said...

Well said, that was lovely to read.

But while I admit to the tofu, I heartily deny the accusation of dried seaweed! And little did you know as a young adolescent that the Shaklee Energy Bars were a sneaky way of inducing you to consume vitamins accompanied by a balanced dose of protein.

sarih said...

An honor Vicki. Your mother was a very special person.I am only sorry that it took us so long to get around to doing it.
Oh, and Mom- you so sent me with seaweed. It was the rough, stick shaped, kind. When I complained that the kids were making fun of it you said to tell them how delicious it was. That worked...until they tried some.