Thursday, March 25, 2010

From this...

to these.
I have been needing new tea towels for awhile now. I have not bought more for a couple of reasons. One: everything is made in China and there is a dubiousness about the source of some of these products, especially the ones on the cheaper end. To say nothing of the fact that their absorbency is appalling. I have attempted to buy suitable fabric but have been told, repeatedly, that they do not sell tea towel material but that I can buy ready made ones in kitchen ware. Humph. Well, after reading Zoe Weil's book Above All be Kind, about raising humane children in a corrupt commercial world, (a fabulous, highly recommended, book by the way) I passed on the defective, but readily available dish towels and found a huge "new" albeit pre-owned, table cloth at the markets and viola: fresh, fun, absorbent, humane dish towels and at only a fraction of the cost...

3 comments:

Michael said...

Brilliant! We have the same problem with our dish towels here..they just spread the water around, they don't absorb it. I'm going to go tablecloth hunting...

Vicki said...

Michael: Go to the thrift stores. The used table cloths probably make outstanding cloths!

Grammy said...

I agree with Michael: brilliant! But there's that energy thing again. First, energy to scavenge the thrift stores, then more energy to cut the table cloth up and sew the pieces into towels. Can I take a nap yet? I could get the book, though, and read it. Or maybe Michael could get it from the library...

Vicki, it would take me three times as long as it would you to do either part A or part B.