Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Ridvan party

At the last minute I got my act together and decided to hold with tradition and have our annual Ridvan get together. The kids insisted on making the world cake again this year. And who am I to refuse such fun and yummy requests, especially when they volunteer to do the icing. Ruhi did all the continents herself. Speaking of fun and yummy I did the usual garden and fresh type foods, but took it one step further and am so glad I did. On our trip to the States I remembered seeing this add for 'edible arrangements' and thought what a wonderful idea that was. The advertisement was completely gorgeous and spectacular and I would have loved to be able to do something as extravagant as their edible "flower" arrangements, sadly that was not on the cards this time round but I did get creative with our nine pointed star cookie cutters and a pineapple and am pleased with my simple results. The kids thought these rocked and had a blast helping with the grapes and strawberries. The following picture doesn't really do it justice, but it was a nice shot of the butterfly on the pitcher of juice...all part of the garden theme.

After a delicious lunch (thanks guys) the kids headed outside for a quote based treasure hunt. (I know, enough already with the hunts - but the kids were not complaining.) The girls helped cut out butterflies and I wrote a word, or two, on the wings of each butterfly. These were then 'hidden' throughout the garden, perched on tree branches, resting on rocks, etc.



The kids then had to find them. They did a pretty good job of it too.

Once the butterflies were collected they had to put the butterflies (all 18 of them) in the correct order to make the quote. As it just so happened Ruhi still remembered the quote from our earlier Ridvan treasure hunt, so she was instrumental in making sure things went in the right spot. I was super impressed by how all the kids worked together to make sure that they had it right and by how intent they all were on what they were doing. I loved seeing the older ones helping the younger ones and making sure that even the littlest ones were included.

These guys are super stars. We read the quote through a couple of times and then went inside to share the treasure...that world cake. We sang In the Garden of Ridvan...sort of, had an impromptu quiz and played some games outside.

We sent everyone home with paper flowers and chocolate lady bugs.


I am pretty sure the day was a success because Bayan is currently asking if we can do it again tomorrow.

1 comment:

Grammy said...

This is wonderful! I love seeing the one world theme with the UNICEF(?) figures and the world cake. Great job of decorating, Ruhi! Grandma would have loved your creativity with fresh fruits and decorations.

Don't apologize for the treasure hunts. They are always fun and a great opportunity for the kids to run around the yard with each other, climb on things and still do something that has a spiritual focus.

No surprise Bayan wanted to do it again the next day.