Sunday, December 30, 2007

43!

Today the mercury reads 43 degrees. That's Celsius. In Fahrenheit it must be at least 115. I assure you if feels far hotter. While Mehran has gone off to help his partner paint the shop and take his brother and some friends to play sports (indoors, but even that is a stretch. How anyone can move in this heat is quite beyond me) the children and I have spent a leisurely day in our pyjamas recuperating (in front of the air conditioner) from our hectic weekend.

The program at the Baha'i Summer School went really well. The audience participation was phenomenal, which of course helped with the flow. I read the quotes and made a brief commentary, the other panel members elaborated certain points with other materials and the coordinator pulled it all together with a PowerPoint presentation. I think everyone got something useful out of it. I know I did. The topic, in case you were wondering, was "The Challenges of Empowering Children to Serve Humanity."

Sunday was spent in a flurry of baking: 3 plates of rose water cream puffs (in the shape of 9 pointed stars - which, given my time restraints, was not my most brilliant idea. They looked gorgeous, but took way too long) a double batch of brownies (chocolate fudge, of course), a loaf of pumpkin bread (original Maine recipe), a batch each (average yield of 30) of chocolate chip cookies, oatmeal raisin cookies, white chocolate and macadamia cookies, M&M cookies and a batch of the most scrumptious ginger cookies you could ever imagine. This was supplemented by a large tray of chopped veggies and dip, a huge platter of corn chips and salsa, a plate of cheese, olives and meat, three mammoth platters of cold cuts, pickles, bread and cheeses (that a lovely lady from our community brought to help out. She and her husband were wonderful. They helped us set up and pack up in addition to helping with the food and drinks. She thought of everything I forgot, like the tablecloths and garbage bags.) and a luscious pyramid of fresh apricots that another woman brought from her garden. The girls and I even made 20 rainbow flowers to adorn the table. Behold:
The girls posing with the sweets. Bayan is behind Anisa rearranging the flowers.
With everything. Impressive huh? Although I must admit I have (temporarily, I am sure) lost the urge to bake.

Today the kids slept in, which was lucky for me because it was after 1 am by the time I finished the dishes. (Mehran helped, which was really nice.) Our first relaxing day of the holidays was spent sipping mango and banana fruit smoothies for breakfast, building a fort out of the couch cushions in the front room and reading stories in the newly created "cave".
We later attempted to make some Persian ice cream but I accidentally missed a crucial step which caused the hasty transformation of the ice cream into a gourmet saffron and rosewater milkshake. It still tasted good, it just wouldn't "jell".

In the afternoon, to stave of the 'stir crazies', I brought out my foot spa and the kids had a blast soaking their feet, tossing bubble balls, and exfoliating (of all things). Even Bayan got in on the action.
Perhaps a dash too much of the cinnamon foot soak. Oh well, it made for some great bubble fun. Notice the bandages on Anisa's legs. She had a rough fall on the gravelly parking lot at the summer school. Just the entrance you are hoping for: (especially when you are running frightfully late and are trying not to draw more attention to that fact) to arrive with an hysterically screaming child bleeding profusely from both limbs. Poor darling!



A handful of bubbles keeps boredom at bay.

Anisa is singing, in case you were curious.


I must be off. Dinner is almost done and the kids are hungry. We're having cannelloni and salad (from our garden) ... YUM!

1 comment:

Grammy said...

I love the picture of Ruhi and Anisa sipping their smoothies through straws.

You constantly amaze me. I have no idea how you could possibly do all that baking in a single day. Not in my wildest imagination would I volunteer to provide refreshments for 200 people.

The paper flowers decorating the table give me visions of late February Intercalary Days in snowbound Maine. Hardly the associations your children will have with them. I was glad to hear the presentation went well. You'll have to tell me more about it.