There are times when, as a parent, you are not sure that your children are listening to what you say, let alone weather they will ever follow or adhere to your wise instructions. I have spent my fair share of time wondering if my constant reminders will ever achieve the desired result, if what I am doing is right, worth it and so on. Then there are those magic moments where you know that you are doing the right thing, that the children have not only heard your directions but have chosen the right coarse of action for themselves and better yet that the choice is becoming second nature. Finally! It may only be a glimpse, only a moment in time, and it may not be repeated for awhile, but those moments are, for me, what parenting is all about and they are a great reward.
We have been teaching Ruhiyyih and Anisa to say: "Thank you for breakfast (lunch, dinner, etc.)" and "May I please leave the table?" before getting up and taking their plates and utensils to the kitchen. They are really doing a great job with this and are getting to the stage where they remember without being reminded. They are both brilliant and wonderful, if I do say so myself. What astounded me greatly was the fact that Bayan, who has been observing this behaviour (among other things), was the first to finish breakfast this morning and without a reminder (he is still mostly saying simple, indiscriminate words, so obviously he is not required to go through the same motions that the girls do, yet.) he looked at me and said "Tank... Tank...Tank oo" (Thank... Thank...Thank you) I would have responded at this stage, but my jaw was on the floor (this is also the first time that he had said these words.) He then proceeded to collect his bowl and climb off of the chair. He took his dish into the kitchen and deposited it on the counter in exactly the same spot that Ruhi usually puts hers. At this point he received a standing ovation from both mother and sisters, and was showered with Hi-5's and kisses. I am so completely proud and have been bragging about him all day.
1 comment:
This is a wonderful story. I am so glad you took a picture of the bowl as "proof"!
I had a similar experience (re: instructions flowing down from the eldest) when Kyle was about 10-11. When asked to do something he replied, "I don't want to help *you* with *your* work." Carter (2 years older) heard and muttered, "You shouldn't have said that...you shouldn't have said that." This was my clue to go into the tirade of "am I the only one who uses this?...household work belongs to the household..." (you fill in the blanks).
Post a Comment