Saturday, January 12, 2008

Remind me that I LOVE this

That I love hearing my name (Mommyyyyyyyy) in that high-pitched piercing screech infused with such urgency that you would swear something perfectly horrendous had just transpired only to discover that the horrible emergency (the one that you have left the washing, for the fifth time in five minutes, and raced in from the farthest corners of the garden) involves a purple texta (marker) and the fact that someone forgot to put on the lid.

That I love the opportunity and the challenge of helping to train young souls and helping them distinguish right from wrong (Anisa has had no less than 9 'time out's' today. Sigh! I'm about to read some parenting tips, for surely everything that I am doing is wrong!)

That I love the sweet embrace of a baby, even when they are howling constantly (for no apparent reason) and will not be soothed or comforted, for what may appear to be a very, very, very long time.

That I love the sound of sibling interaction (even when it results in one screaming at the other - hence a couple of time outs.)

That I love having my children communicate with me (all at one, over each other, each attempting to be the loudest, the quickest, the most demanding).

That I love being called away from trying to prepare a super-fast dinner no less than 25 times in 30 minutes (but who is counting) to go outside and look at bugs or watch someone on the monkey bars again and again and again. ( I know that one day, not too many years from now, I will miss it all desperately and that these moments are more precious than anything, for once gone they are gone for good. Never to return. Ever. I know this, and yet knowing this I still found it exceedingly difficult to muster the patience, to say nothing of the required enthusiasm, that the children so desperately craved.)

Here is a picture of the bug. A stink bug (of course). It goes with the day, but only a little bit, because I really Do LOVE this... even though today my parenting skills really stunk.

P.S. Hi Vicki. Thanks for the encouraging words. It's nice to read something positive, especially on days like today.

2 comments:

Grammy said...

From Vicki (I'm at your mom's house): Without the struggling days you would not appreciate the "calm" days. And I find it hysterical when a parent with three children "hang out and take it easy" at any time.
Also one thing I found difficult was not laughing and inappropriate times. It is different when you think something funny is going to be said and you hold your laughter inside. But when the humor blindsides you, you guffaw hilariously only to realize you've offended someone (whoops--although it really was funny). It took me about fifteen minutes of apologizing to Carter before I got out of that one!

Grammy said...

Reminder to Sarih: You LOVE being a mommy! You have never loved anything so much in all your life!! But there are days in the lives of all mommies when you say to yourself with righteous indignation, "What was I thinking?!!" Then, something sweet happens to remind you again that you can't remember how you ever lived without them and that you would never want to ever again.