Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Mummy Dates


I have been trying to squeeze in some "alone time" with the girls before our newest addition arrives. This is has not been easy between work, school, extra-curricular activities and appointments but I have finally hit on a way to make it happen. And it has been working splendidly. This week it was Anisa's turn and I remembered the camera. I'm so glad that I did. It is nothing extravagant and we only have about 45 minutes together, but it is perfectly priceless. There is a small, quiet, cafe about 2 minutes down the road from the girls' school and that is where we come. We sit at the back, sharing hot chips and snacks and have a beautiful time 'just us'. I love how the girls are both so different. I love the opportunity to focus on them individually, even if only for a few minutes. I love Ruhiyyih's seriousness as she decides which frozen treat to try analyzing size, flavour, health factors and cost and Anisa's silly humor as she admires the artwork on the wall, spots wildlife from the deck and compares the length of her hot chips (french fries) to all sorts of unusual objects.
As an additional bonus we happened upon a koala on the way home. We have, countless times, seen them in the trees or waited patiently for them to cross the streets but I have never, not once, had my camera with me. Until today. Anisa saw him first lumbering down the middle of a side street so we doubled back and found him tucked into the branches of a towering eucalyptus tree. Thank goodness for powerful zooms. We watched as he snacked on the leaves, snuggled into the tree and as Anisa loudly exclaimed for all the neighbours to hear "Ohhh looook he's scratching his bum! He's sooooo cuuute!" Indeed he was, but you be the judge of just how cute.

1 comment:

Grammy said...

Wish I was there! (Your posts have gotten ahead of me again. I don't know how you find the time to do all this.)