Friday, May 7, 2010

Ranting

So, the girls are having some issues at school. There are two boys that are making Ruhi's life miserable. They are not violent. They are simply callous and mean. And I must confess that I really don't care much for either of them at the moment. Meanwhile Anisa, who has found her niche and has some lovely little friends, is being attacked by another child. Physically. Without provocation. Without warning. The child has special needs and is apparently getting some special help but the teachers think that he is targeting Anisa because she cries when he attacks her. I think I would too if someone shoved me in the chest or grabbed a fistfull of my hair and gave it a good, hard, yank and would not let go. I am not upset with this child. I don't think he realizes (unlike the two boys that Ruhi has to deal with) how what he is doing is affecting people. His mother is just beside herself and I don't blame her either. What upsets me most about this situation is the reaction of one of the teachers (thankfully not Anisa's). After Anisa told her that this child had shoved her from behind and pulled her hair, she was told that she shouldn't cry. Excuses were made for him and she was told that, essentially, she would have to modify her behaviour for the situation to improve. Excuse ME?!!!Personally I think that it is a perfectly normal response and that Anisa should not be made to feel responsible for the actions of someone else. I am so angry right now.


Postscript: Anisa's teacher has been lovely. After speaking to her about the situation she came up and approached me this morning to tell me what the game plan was for today: specialist meetings, additional support for the child and extra consequences. She also caught me after school to tell me the result of the meetings and to share some of the additional strategies they hope will make an improvement. Neither of the boys bothered Ruhi today and Anisa was left alone as well, her best friend was the victim of choice instead. Not surprising S. had the same response to being attacked that Anisa did: tears. Imagine that.

1 comment:

Grammy said...

I'm sorry the girls are having to deal with this stuff but perhaps it will help them learn to cope with it because there is a lot of it in the world. And I'm glad glad to see that there will be some interventions and consequences because it is a real disservice to allow bullies to get away with their behavior whether it is physical or verbal.