Do you? Really people? Well I didn't, not at first. Not when I was driving up a twisty, narrow, road into the hills in the pouring rain when suddenly extremely loud sirens start going off in the car and there is this bright red flashing beacon pulsing on the dashboard. Now I am not one of these sensible people that read the entire operation manual before attempting to drive my vehicle. I like the basics: ignition, indicators, brakes and then I prefer to wing it, learning as I go. Personally I think the symbol looks more like an ancient rune than an indication that the car may be overheating, but I guess that is just me.
I worked it out fairly quickly after as, coincidentally, it seemed remarkably similar to the little icon beside the temperature gauge. But there was nowhere to pull over, nowhere at all. The only options were oncoming traffic, plummeting over the side of a cliff or praying that we made it up the hill. I went with the praying option and we miraculously made it to school where I got to wait an hour for RAA to arrive. On the bright side I was able to call my school and tell them that I would be late (this would later be updated to not coming in at all). The RAA guy was perfectly lovely as he examined the car and said that there was a leak in the radiator. He added 10 gallons of water and said that I would need to have it towed as it was completely undrivable. Undrivable. On the bright side I didn't damage the head gasket or burn out the engine by forcing it up the hill.Bayan flooded the laundry room, twice, by blocking the drainage pipes for the washing machine, twice. On the bright side the washer was not damaged and the floors are very, very, clean.
Bayan unravelled my good knitting yarn again. And wove it throughout the front room in what appeared to be a very hap hazard manner, but there may have been a method to it as it took over an hour to untangle and reroll all the balls.
On the bright side if I ever need to create a web again I can just get Bayan to do it for me.
I picked up a screw in one of my tyres (I know) and after clearing out the back of the car so that the RAA guy (you'd think I'd be on a first name basis by now) could access and change it for me I discovered that there was no spare, not in the back anyway. On the bright side the RAA guy noticed a special knob and found the spare hooked to the underside of the car. I didn't know they did that. I should probably read the manual. On the bright side at least I know where it is now. I call it learning as I go.
Most significantly this week I was attacked (assaulted according to the medical reports) by a student after breaking up a fight between him and another student. I was repeatedly shoved and rammed in the abdomen, which is never a good thing and is much worse when you're pregnant, but on the bright side initial examinations and the emergency ultrasound showed that the baby is fine. That is all that matters.
1 comment:
I may be superstitious but I think often tests come in threes. The car overheating was one, Bayan flooding the laundry floor was two (it took him two tries to get that the shouldn't do it), and his use of your yarns was three (he still thinks that's just a lark). They are fairly normal kinds of occurrences in life.
The assault was not one of the three. It was in an entirely different category.
Post a Comment