Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Mummy Date

I arranged to pick Ruhi up early from school on Friday (the last day) and have Mehran's mom look after Anisa and Bayan for a couple of hours so that I could have a little bit of one on one time with Ruhi, something that I know she needs and sorely misses. We had plans to go ice-skating, but changed them at the last minute due to bush fires (which, I later learned, were rather distant, although you couldn't tell that from all the smoke). I didn't want to be in an enclosed area where you can't see the light of day and have absolutely no idea what is happening outside, especially as Anisa and Bayan were not with us. Ruhiyyih also developed a sore tummy ( I rather think heat related, if that is even possible) and enthusiastically opted to go and get a frozen yogurt instead. Plus it was gentler on the pocketbook so Mehran would be relieved to no end.


Ruhi, very maturely and of her own accord, selected a 'healthy' vanilla double (as you can see from the photo) cone. Even though she was ogling the less healthier "tootie fruitie" complete with rainbow sprinkles and lollie pieces and even though I told her she could get whichever one she wanted. It was a proud moment when she decided (without the least input from me) that, no, vanilla would be a better choice. I went with a luscious looking strawberry cone, also a double but I shan't emphasize that.

We swapped cones almost immediately as the strawberry one was, well...pink and the vanilla one had the most unfortunate after-taste you could possibly imagine. I ate it anyway as I hate to see waste (both food and financial) and as motherhood has apparently turned me into some sort of walking garbage disposal, where I live off the scraps of others. At any rate we will be avoiding the vanilla from now on.

We had a lovely chat, did a bit of window shopping and relished just having a quiet moment together. Maybe next time we will go ice-skating...

1 comment:

Grammy said...

Ruhi looks very pleased. It's a lovely picture of her. I'm glad you got some time together but ice-skating in the summer where you live? I wouldn't have imagined you could find a rink there. And, by the way, you haven't lost your touch for humour. I laughed out loud. It's cold here and the snow is almost hip deep in places. The man who plows for me came today for the 4th time this month.