Sunday, January 27, 2008

Pinatas, "Bumbles" and Dancing Bears

Ruhi goes back to school tomorrow and I head to work on Wednesday. The house is in chaos as I have been busily constructing three pinatas (seven more to go) and they are in various degrees of completion around the place. Here is a photo of Bayan after helping me make one of them, I think this was the Mexican Star. Notice his arms, legs and face. He had more luck massaging the paste onto his body, the mat and his clothes than getting it on the pinata and was soon heading off for his third bath of the day. But it was gooey and fun so who can complain?


I took a break from endless cutting out of international figurines and keys (paper keys with virtues for behaviour management - a new strategy that I am trying out this year. I might seriously be insane. It is SO much work.) as well as getting all the odds and ends organized for the classroom, to blow some bubbles ("Bumbles" as Bayan enthusiastically refers to them) with the kids. Ruhi was the official 'blower', Anisa the official 'catcher' (popper) and Bayan the official 'cheerleader', although everybody swapped roles at least twice.
While I was inside working, strains of operatic singing and high-pitched, tooting came floating in from outside. Upon investigation I discovered this: Ruhi had donned a Mexican belt which she flung, scarf-like, around her neck for dramatic effect while she belted out made up songs to the tunes that Anisa (wearing an extremely snug fitting 'Pooh Bear disguised as a bumble bee costume') puffed out on a wooden, South American inspired, recorder-like instrument.

They enjoyed the music so much they both simultaneously did a little jig. I must admit it was wonderfully entertaining!

1 comment:

Grammy said...

Too cute! One and all! How did you figure out how to have so much fun? Makes me want to be a child again but only if you get to be my mom!