While I lay in bed during the wee hours of the morning (having awoken to feed Bayan) watching, in mesmerized silence, as the faintest traces of dawn began to touch the edge of the woods, a young deer emerged from the shadows and began to forage below the window. I love and miss that aspect of country living, the way that nature is right on your doorstep, except when it comes to skunks living under your back porch - that I can do without.
“While they are at your side, love these little ones to the uttermost. Forget yourself. Serve them; care for them; lavish all your tenderness on them ....Love them and win their love, and shower on them all the treasures of your heart. Fill up their days with happiness, and share with them their mirth and innocent delights. Childhood is but for a day. Ere you are aware it will be gone with all its gifts for ever.” ~George Townshend
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Dec. 13th: Through the Window
Laying beside Bayan in my grandmother's bed waiting, with baited breath for him to fall asleep, so that I could slip downstairs I watched as the afternoon light played with the frozen branches of the pine tree just outside the bedroom window and desperately wished that I could get to my camera. Alas, I could not and while I spent the next few days attempting to capture the magic of the light and the ice, no picture I took does the image justice.
This photo, taken from the car window (excuse the power lines) gives a small, yet entirely inadequate, idea. What you must understand is that the storm coated, not only entire trees, but entire forests in ice and when the sun would hit the woods just right the image was stunning. It was like every twig on every branch on very tree was draped in shimmering diamonds, each one capturing the sun's rays and projecting a radiant sparkle that instantly dazzled your eyes.
We have seen scores of squirrels dashing across the frozen ground or scurrying up the maple trees on our property line. Ruhi has become quite a squirrel spotter. Despite distance, speed and camouflage she can detect (and frequently does) the little critters in all sorts of locations. Here is one she spotted through the window of the car while we were waiting for my mom and Mehran to sort out some details at the rental car agency. This took a. very. long. time. Thank heavens for the airplane snacks I had stashed in my purse and for the local wildlife to amuse us.
While I lay in bed during the wee hours of the morning (having awoken to feed Bayan) watching, in mesmerized silence, as the faintest traces of dawn began to touch the edge of the woods, a young deer emerged from the shadows and began to forage below the window. I love and miss that aspect of country living, the way that nature is right on your doorstep, except when it comes to skunks living under your back porch - that I can do without.
While I lay in bed during the wee hours of the morning (having awoken to feed Bayan) watching, in mesmerized silence, as the faintest traces of dawn began to touch the edge of the woods, a young deer emerged from the shadows and began to forage below the window. I love and miss that aspect of country living, the way that nature is right on your doorstep, except when it comes to skunks living under your back porch - that I can do without.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment