Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Dec. 28: Sleigh Rides

I have this very vivid memory of going on a sleigh ride one cold winter evening. I remember sitting on bales of hay, snuggling under blankets as horses pulled us across pristine white snow fields while a million brilliant stars sparkled in the sky above. I remember my freezing nose and happy laughter and having hot apple cider when we finally returned home. And oh, how I wanted my children to have the opportunity to enjoy a sleigh ride too. Even though I only remember taking one sleigh ride it has some how come to epitomise winter in Maine.

Since the moment I learned that LL Beans was organizing horse drawn wagon rides through the streets of Freepot I have wanted to give the kids a chance to experience a small portion of what I remember. We headed to Beans and while we waited in the lobby for our turn the kids had a chance to revisit the fish wall and the bubble dome, two of their favourite spots in the store.There were no blankets, no hay bales and no pristine snow fields, but there were two wonderful horses, a wooden wagon and a deserted main street with lots of lights, and Christmas decorations.
When the ride was finished we got a chance to meet the horses, to say thank you and good-bye







before heading home to warm beds and hot apple cider. Some things never change.

No comments: