Sunday, December 14, 2008

Dec. 1st: Be Still My Heart

Setting foot in an American supermarket for the first time in nearly 15 years I felt very much like how I imagine Hiram Bingham must have felt when he discovered Macchu Picchu (The Lost City of the Incas) on a cloud-covered mountain peak in Peru. To walk down the brightly lit isles and see such revered things as Mrs. Butterworth's syrups, McCormik seasonings and rubs, Mrs. Fields Cookies, Honey Maid Grahams, Wheat Thins, Turkey dogs, all manner of Pillsbury products, Ruffles chips, Nature Valley Granola Bars and Cinnabon Rolls to name but a few fills me with such delight and amazement that I can hardly explain and I haven't even mentioned the baking products yet. But don't worry. I will.

To add to my sense of wonder and awe, we were repeatedly asked by various staff if we needed help or if we were finding everything OK. What? They aren't all hiding in the back avoiding the customers? What kind of fabulous system is this where there is an army of surplus employees ready and waiting to help me find any obscure or elusive item I may desire? And can they come back to Australia?

I had all but forgotten that grand old American tradition called 'Supersize me'. Instead of either one dozen or a half dozen eggs your choice is between one dozen or two dozen. The smallest carton of milk is two litres, the most readily bought is one gallon (4 litres). You can easily acquire 2 kilo tubs of butter or margarine and can get commercial size containers of cool whip. I have not included any photos with this post as it seemed somewhat embarrassing to have my children posing with products half the size they are as I snap pictures and fellow shoppers whisper and stare. But truly, those tubs of butter are hugely impressive.

2 comments:

martha said...

Your excitement and joy is just contagious, i'm so happy for you all. Being 'home' must be oh so special!!! As for the supermarket, can you take me shopping tooo? Living in true Aussie bushville here, i never thought i'd miss shopping so much, so please shop your heart out on my behalf too:)

Vicki said...

Oh, Sarih, don't be silly. I'll go with you to take all the pictures you want at the grocery store. Then we could head over to BJ's or Sam's where the products are larger still! I have no fear of looking silly, let's DO it!