Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Here and There


Before going on my year of service I spent four months back in Freeport, living in the cottage with mom (Michael being off at Maxwell) and working 18 hours a day. My day time hours were spent at a charming day care centre in town run by a lovely lady whom I have have not seen or heard from in years, while my evenings were spent asking a steady flow of locals and tourists (I even once served Stephen King) if they want fries with that. Yes, that is right. Once upon a time I had an illustrious career as a 'front person' for MacDonald's. Though, I must say, I am fairly certain that Freeport's MacDonald's is the most elegant in the world. Now, I know you think me biased, but honestly -just look at the picture. It is an original building, that blends right into main street -no ostentatious plastic M's to be found, save a small sigh on the front lawn and a placard across the old entrance. Inside the main dining room are upholstered chairs, shining, mock mahogany tables, burgundy carpets and electric early 1900's style kerosene wall lights to add that little touch of class. I instructed Mom to drive by extra slowly so that I might capture some of the splendour I am describing, but alas window reflections and traffic made that most difficult. I didn't feel brave enough to whip out my camera on the one occasion that we went inside to eat there and so I have only these measly exterior photos to show. I was slightly more courageous at the library and asked permission to take some pictures, because this is one of the sweetest libraries that I have ever seen. If ever we lived in Freeport this is exactly the type of place where I would love to work. The children's section is fantastic. We visited a couple of times and the children did not want to leave. Nor did I, truth be told. So here are some interior shots. I love the flock of cranes taking flight

and the paper mache fish displayed here and there.Tucked away in the back section is this delightful, hand painted, reading bench displaying typical New England artworkA close up so that you can really see the lighthouse on the island.

And because I know you are just aching to see the other side...

Perhaps my favourite spot was a reading room with soft cushions and large picture windows that simply beckon you to find a book and curl up for an hour or two. I love the brightness and the light and the fact that you are tucked away in the trees and everything is so quiet and peaceful.

Meanwhile Bayan's favourite spot was just outside the reading room door...

This worked splendidly for both of us.

No comments: