Saturday, October 16, 2010

The lunch box dilemma

Over the years, as a teacher, I have watched what kids are given to eat for lunch, recess and 'fruit time'. Despite prominent displays and posters about what actually qualifies as a fruit and general notes in the newsletter about healthier lunch ideas kids are still sent to school with lollipops and chips for recess, or with jello for fruit time (and no - strawberry flavoring does not count as a fruit). Most schools either have a canteen, where "healthy" lunches can be ordered or a local deli of some sort that will cater to the school. Ours is no exception, although lunches can only be ordered on a Wednesday. That cuts the pressure down a bit, but there is still the comparison between students about who gets to eat what. I, having been sent to school with lunchboxes full of tofu and seaweed and other perfectly healthy but questionable items, seriously understand this need to get to have nice things in your lunch especially when everyone else is gorging themselves on cupcakes and white bread sandwiches. So, what is a mom to do? Especially when you are trying to avoid feeding your kids certain things like wheat, dairy or too much sugar. Over a week I photographed the girls lunches. These are just some of the things that we do, things that they like and that I am happy to pack for them. Sometimes their lunches are a little different, like one wanted plain corn chips while another wanted salt and vinegar potato chips (to make myself feel better I buy our chips in the health food section where I can be assured that the product is organic and not full of flavor enhancers even though the main ingredients may be potato, salt and oil.) or one wanted strawberries while the other requested watermelon. I didn't have heaps of time, so they are not super creative but they may offer some ideas when the thought of having to make lunches leaves you uninspired. I am not a nutritionist and these are probably horribly unbalanced, but at least they are a vast improvement over many of the lunches I see and, at least in relation to Ruhi and Anisa, they usually get eaten.
First up we have the cookie cutter sandwich (this one does contain wheat, but you can do them in almost any shape and with almost any bread - gluten free is a bit of a hit and miss - and the kids love it), flanked by dill pickles (always a favorite), some carrot sticks, apple slices with almonds and a homemade organic, low-sugar cookie (shhh.) Next we have the quesadillas (this contains dairy) corn tortillas with a bit of melted cheese and salsa and sour cream on the side (we introduced these to the school during our Mexican theme and all the kids loved them) grapes and apples for fruit, a homemade gluten free, low sugar, low fat (don't tell) chocolate brownie and some corn chips.
Followed by a favorite lunch for both of the girls: rice noodle wraps (wheat and dairy free). The original recipe calls for rice noodles, shrimp, coriander, shredded carrot and cucumber and is served with a delicious dipping sauce on the side. You can add as much or as little of that as you like or choose your own fillings altogether. I add the dipping sauce to the noodles and wrap them up so the flavoring is already inside (less mess). Fruit was watermelon slices or a grape and strawberry necklace. Chips again (I know, but it's been a hectic week and they're only tiny portions...sigh.) and a homemade banana muffin.
The top picture (refer to the beginning of the post) features organic corn wrap sandwiches. These are very versatile because you can add any filling you like and they are very healthy: organic, no additives. These are accompanied by pickles (again) rice crackers, fresh strawberries and homemade date, almond and coconut rolls. I love these things because they are easy and delicious. They are literally ground up dates (use a food processor or blender) rolled in organic coconut and stuck with an almond. The kids love them because they taste good and Anisa always has classmates begging her for bites.

Here is the before shot of our final lunch for the week (bear in mind that I've been working too): Left-over roast chicken with cucumber wedges, chips (oh, the shame, especially after my big spiel - we don't normally have them this often), another banana muffin and strawberries with a mini mandarin. (See Mom: no tofu.)
And here is Ruhi's after shot.
Now, that's what we like to see. I shan't show you Anisa's as hers was not so impressive. Let's just say that, in the future, Anisa's chicken will have to be heated if her highness is intended to consume it. Another thing that I often do (but haven't this week) is simply to send left over rice and khoresht or some sort of soup in a flashy, fun Thermos. That goes over pretty well too. So do notes, or stickers or specially wrapped sandwiches. Homemade lunch wrap can easily be made using waxed sandwich paper, colorful (regular) paper, craft punches and an iron. Just cut two pieces of waxed lunch wrap, place one waxed side up and place colored paper pieces on it, place the next sheet waxed side down over the colored pieces on the first waxed paper (does that make sense?) and iron together. Voila: fancy sandwich wrap. Use ribbon for that extra special touch.



Hmmm. The end product looks a bit daggy here. But I promise, the kids will love it.

No comments: