Thursday, April 10, 2008

Changes

Outside:

Autumn has always been one of my two favourite seasons. I love the change from the long, hot days to the refreshing coolness of earlier evenings. I love curling up with a cozy blanket and cups of hot chocolate or tea to read a book, or share stories with the children.
While certain aspects of autumn are the same in Australia, I miss the richness and natural splendour of the season New England style: the leaves that turn the most amazing shades of crimson, saffron and gold, the pumpkins and hayrides, sipping cinnamon spiced apple cider, collecting acorns for the squirrels, the crisp, coolness of the air as the world prepares itself for winter.

Here, in a sun-drenched, drought-ridden land, we eagerly await the promise of rain that usually accompanies the advent of autumn, and I content myself with enjoying the dried yellow and orange hues of the leaves on our nectarine tree...

Inside:

As of tonight Nushan will be officially living with us. And I wonder what changes a new presence in our home will bring.

No comments: