Speaking of which today we took the toys into the city and made a clandestine drop, as the exact location of their office is not something that (for safety reasons) they give out. Bayan slept through the whole thing, but Ruhi and Anisa helped hand over all the teddies and soft toys. Diane, who met us, is actually the one who goes out and meets with the mothers and children. She says that she normally sees them in hotel rooms or special shelters and more often than not, the kids she sees have had to leave everything behind. So, in addition to having something to cuddle, it is often just really nice for the kids to be able to own something again.
This turned out really well, as so many people have extra stuffed toys that really don't get used, so it was a great way to get rid of some good quality 'clutter' while doing something nice for someone else. The kids chose some of their own toys to add to the collection and Ruhi told Diane that she still really liked her Pooh Bear, but that it was OK for other children to have him now. I was extremely impressed and proud of the way that the girls behaved, and grateful (of course) that Bayan didn't appear to mind our giving all those cuddly things away. I hope the children who will receive them will get at least a small amount of comfort from them. Beyond that I'm not really sure what to do.
1 comment:
I suspect what you are doing with birthdays is influencing everyone who is part of them.
I am very touched that you chose to reach out to a DV shelter, as I know how the children suffer in such situations. Thank you for persisting in finding a way to do it and thank you to Ruhi, Anisa and Bayan for giving so willingly themselves.
Post a Comment